Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Break Her - B.G. Harlen

Title: Break Her
Author: B.G. Harlen
Publisher: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
*This review is also available on Goodreads*
FIVE STARS - ABSOLUTE MASTERPIECE!

I have had Break Her on my to-read shelf for quite some time before I decided to give it a try. To be fair when I started reading it I had no expectations. I had just finished reading Gustave Le Bon's The Crowd: A Study of a Popular Mind and all I knew was that I was in a mood of a sociologically related novel that showed a woman's strength. (Nothing to do with Le Bon's book, my mind was just set on the book being sociological.) Little did I know I'd find one of my favorite books.


I think this book is perhaps the only piece of literature I've ever read that made me completely lose myself in the plot. I forgot to drink water and eat and spent the entire day in bed, reading. Every sentence was more addicting than the previous one and I, like a junkie, needed by next fix in the form of chapter, right at that very moment. 


I think the way B.G. Harlen waved her way around the story and thus created a web that totally engulfed the reader within it's grab, deserves an award and I never say things like that like a throwaway.


Break Her is filled with so much meaning. It's sad that some people (from what I have read of other reviews) can't understand it. I think we live in a day and age where topics brought up in this book are taboo to the point where people are afraid to even read about them and then express what they felt after they have.


No names, no personality, limited background. Break Her gives the reader the opportunity to feel things I have not thought were possible. This story is about a man, who thinks that the worst thing he could do to a woman is to rape, abuse and humiliate her. Sadly, this would be true for the majority of the female population, however not for this woman. She uses her captor's own twisted psychological reasoning to save her life. They battled throughout the entire book: the physically weak female and the muscular, strong male. 


And then the outcome...the ending...the "checkmate."


Brilliance captured in 228 pages.


Links:

Break Her from Amazon.com
Break Her on Goodreads
B. G. Harlen on Goodreads
The Crowd: A Study of the Popular Mind on Amazon.com
Gustave Le Bon on Wikipedia




0 comments:

Post a Comment

© 2011 Bozhidara's Book Corner, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena